Beyond the Borders

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Elche.

This is Elche, where I live. That's why I chose the nickname "Amelche" (Ana María from Elche) and the palm tree as the photograph for my blogger's profile. It's very hard to find a corner in Elche where there are no palm trees. That's why we got the UNESCO's World Heritage award in 2000: as you can see here
These photographs were taken last year at the Museum of the palm groves in Elche. It used to be a private orchard till the Town Council bougt it a few years ago, refurbished the house and created the museum. I remember once I went there to buy some dates for a friend from university who had asked me to buy them for the family where he stayed in Sheffield, when he was an Erasmus student there. The old lady who sold the dates told me: "When I was young it was quite an adventure for a woman to go on your own to Alicante (one of the nearest towns) and now you girls go abroad!"

I had been in the house buying dates but I had never walked in the orchard till last year, when I took these photographs. This is the entrance to the Huerto de San Plácido (St. Placid's Orchard), I think it's a very appropriate name for it, due to the quietness of the place.


There wasn't anybody there and I had left my mobile phone at home charging the batery. In that moment, it was as if I had gone into an oasis far from civilization. There was an incredible peace there. The Arabs, who used to live here many centuries ago, would plant their orchards and place the water channels between the palm trees (as you can see in the first photo) so that the water was on the shade and it didn't evaporate so much. In Elche it is also typical to find benches made of palm tree trunks, as you can see in the previous photograph.

However, behind the palm trees there is the city with its buildings like the ones in the photograph. This park is situated in the heart of Elche, very close to the town centre and its busy streets. I dedicate this post to Anna-Lys, http://anna-lys.blogspot.com/, who asked me to write more posts in English and I promised I would. :-D
(This post in Spanish, although I have changed a bit the translation into English, here: en español.)

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • Thank You, Thank You!!!!
    I have been longing for reading in English at Your blog! I will put a Dar-Link to this blog! Hug!

    First and foremost I like to wish You a very very

    (¯`v´¯)¤
    .`•.¸.•´
    ¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (`'·.Happy¸.·'´)
    (`'·.New 2008!¸.·'´)
    ¸.·*)*¸.·´¨)*´¨)¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·(¸.·´ .·´¸¸.·´*´¨)


    and thanks for Your beautiful written post ... I will be back soon, a little late here now :-)

    (( hugs ))

    By Blogger ANNA-LYS, at January 04, 2008 1:58 am  

  • here .... Reading again!
    You write so beautiful and interesting about Your place! I have also checked it up elsewhere, will probably be back with some questions to learn more :-)

    (( hugs ))

    By Blogger ANNA-LYS, at January 05, 2008 8:04 pm  

  • ANNA-LYS: Thanks for your comments and happy New Year too! I'm teaching English now at a secondary school but I used to work at the tourist office in Elche, so your questions are welcome. :-)

    By Blogger amelche, at January 05, 2008 9:02 pm  

  • LOL Great!!!

    and thanks for Your comment upon Pablo Neruda (a favo), I did answer You there! ;-)

    By Blogger ANNA-LYS, at January 06, 2008 2:47 am  

  • Can You teach me Inglish???

    By Blogger ANNA-LYS, at January 07, 2008 12:07 pm  

  • Are You very busy???

    By Blogger ANNA-LYS, at February 01, 2008 4:00 pm  

  • Sorry for not having answered before. Yes, I am quite busy lately. I don't know why, when I finish something I have lots of other things waiting. I can teach you English but you already know English!

    By Blogger amelche, at February 06, 2008 11:41 pm  

  • Thanks,
    we all have a life ... hopefully
    Did I see Your footprints on my blog the other day?

    (( hug ))

    By Blogger ANNA-LYS, at February 10, 2008 2:18 pm  

  • May I interrup?
    Great post about a really lovely place I know quite well. I´ve been there a few times spending some weekends ( we stood at "El huerto del cura") and have really good friends.
    Nice coincidence.
    xxx
    Montse

    By Blogger Amig@mi@, at October 16, 2008 5:19 pm  

  • ANNA-LYS: We have a life, yes. And I spend less time in the blog now.


    AMIG@ MI@: I'm glad you know my town. You stayed at the best hotel! Let me know if you come back.

    By Blogger amelche, at October 18, 2008 2:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home